Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Masya Allah

books


When I only had Haziq, I bought this book from UKS entitled What do we say by Noorah Kathryn Abdullah. In the book are basic phrases of what we should say when we do certain things. Like saying Bismillah before we begin to eat and end it with Alhamdulillah.

And in the book also I found this, it says to say Masya Allah when we see something nice or when we see something we like.

Wait a minute! Don't we say Masya Allah when we are angry or see something we don't like? Hmm fonkius.

Anyway, that was my first encounter on the word Masya Allah. But then I rarely used the word back then.

Until I came over here. People often use Masya Allah. You do something good. Masya Alah. You look good (ehem ehem), Masya Allah. So now I am used to use Masya Allah when I praise or when I see something I like. In fact I also learned that when we praise someone, you should say Masya Allah and add it with tabarakallah or Allahumma Bareek. Not only that you are giving recognition that All good things come from Allah, but it is indeed one way to ward off evil eye out of your envy to the person you are praising (another topic perhaps).

So I was surprised when I went for Hajj with my Malaysian friends. They reminded me of how I used to use Masya Allah when I am angry. I really didn't know how to tell them because tak nak nampak macam makcik berleter. Ya Rabb May You guard and guide my tongue.

But nak jadikan cerita, sometime over there some makcik arab would come near us and said Masya Allah. We must have been doing something good. Masya Allah my lady friends. Sometime in the apartment. Elsewhere too.

But the last straw was in masjid nabawi. We were discussing something from the Quran, someone came near us, looked at us and said Masya Allah. Miss L, finally said. What did we do wrong?

I asked, "Err what do you mean?"
Why are they saying Masya Allah all the time?

*Smiles*

So I told them..

Anyway akademik meaning dia is "As Allah may wish" Used on happy occassion, reflecting a Muslim's total surrender to divine will. This phrase is used when admiring or praising something or someone, in recognition that all good things come from God and are blessings from Him.


"So," they asked, "They are not angry at us lah?"
No they are not. (I think kita ni selalu ingat orang arab ni nak marah kita agaknya)In fact they are praising you.

And I added, "Remember when we were at Raudhah, and you were not happy people are pushing you?"
Uhuh, they replied.
"And you retorted and you said, "Please stop pushing! Masya Allah!!". I think they are confuse, ko marah dia ke ko puji dia. Sebab tulah they kept pushing you."

kih kih kih.

"habis! Habis! Habis!" my friends said, "What do we say if we angry or not happy?"

Errr I don't know lah.

Astaghfirullah?
or tell them to istighfar?
Or perhaps if you feel that you are going to blow up, you can say, Audzubillahhi minah shaytoni rojim?
Maybe you can tell me.

13 comments:

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Fin naar! Fin naar!

Sheherazade said...

ha'ah kan?then ape yg sesuai ek?

Lollies said...

hahahahaha.

tetiba rasa nak translate "go to hell"

idzhab ilan nar!

ruby - well actually taklah matter sangat. perhaps istighfar is good for us.

أم الليث said...

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaa ye ke! I NEVER knew org melayu guna masyaAllah utk kalau marah2 or tak puas hati.

memang dari kecik mashaAllah is for when seeing something we like or something in awe that Allah created like magnificent scenery or nice weather.

bila dah tua skit baru tau it's good to say it while praising people to ward off the evil eye.

ish apa la orang melayu ni :p reka2 je. mcm ckp inshaAllah tu la..to mean: nnti dtg insyaAllah = means i don't really wanna go.

أم الليث said...

kalau marah, i suppose it's our weakness since Rasulullah said La taghdhob. Istighfar is probably the best thing to say.

zan said...

i remember dulu2 in UKS org discuss abt this..so i just istighfar for the things that i don't like to see/hear.

i kena carilaa buku tu, i think i bought it too from UKS.

Lollies said...

aliya - err kalau gitu i lah tu dulu. hahahaha.

i have amat salleh friend yang hampir risau kalai kita pakai insya Allah. sebab dia betul2 ingat that it is an excuse to not do something.

indeed kalau marah is from our weakness.

so please no one use the go to hell phrase!

zan - ohh i tak perasan discussion tu. sungguh rugi. go and find the book. jack loves it.

Mrs.A said...

I pun tahu after I read this book in Popular Book store, should have bought it then, next time pergi dah takde. My son's ustazah at his KAFA pun pernah remind juga.

Kalau kawan2 di sini say Masya Allah inappropriately, I quietly tell them as a reminder to myself.

masdiana said...

Can ref. pg 141 - 146 of Fortress of the Muslim - Supplications for anxiety + sorrow, + 4 1 in distress - panjang sgt la nak share kat sini. :-) But astaghafirUllah is a good 1, bcoz slalu kita marah tu bila kena some tests yg kita tak suka, sedangkan Allah dah ckp that whatever bad tht befalls us is from our ownself (sorry lupa ref but it's 1 lesson from tafseer Al-Baqarah), so istighfar would expiate that sin + remind us (+ indirectly to whoever yg buatkan kita marah jugak) to repent + return to Him. Or remember the du'aa of the Prophets in Qur'an - 'hasbunAllahu wani'mal wakil' or 'laa ilaha illaa Anta subhaanaKa inni kuntu minazzolimin'. WAllahu a'lam. :-)

zal said...

kalau marah.. tunjuk je isyarat tangan yg mcm qatari buat tu.. u know.. then tetiba semua jadi sabar... hehehe... that isyarat can mean a lot of things... sabar... give time... or need time...

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

hehehe... this is a good question.

nowadays i go for "Ya Allah!" or "Astaghfirullahhh!" whenever i am upset or angry in hopes to cool down the anger, etc. tapi unfortunately kengkadang tu the phrase comes out bunyi macam panasss je, takleh sejuk langsung. heee..

now gibran also goes "ya Allahhhh!" whenever he's upset with me and his Baba! tsk tsk..

mosh said...

I wanted to reply with some silly answers tapi macam tak sesuai je. Really going against the stream, except maybe hansac's.

Masya-Allah this entry :)

Ruby M. said...

Salam Lollies,
actually I wrote about the common islamic expressions some time back at this link
http://maknenek.blogspot.com/2008/09/simple-arabic-for-ramadhan.html

It's best to istigfar as you said, when something bothers you. But kalau it's budak2 arab yg kurang ajar for no reason, you can just say "Aib" to them, they get it and it will put them back to place inshaallah.

Love your entries, as usual