Tuesday, September 22, 2009

After 37 Years

This time round it began to dawn on me on the importance of going for the Eid prayers. *Ashamed of myself*. It is so important that some scholars even made a fatwa that it is Fard Ain. I shall not discuss this, but the essence here is it is important for everyone to go.

I use to think that ahh it is just sunat. Because you see, the way I define what sunat was, it's ok if you don't do it. The sahabahs, instead, will ask did the Prophet s.a.w. do it or not. If he s.a.w. did it, so will they. (Do you feel differently if I say sunnah instead of sunat? :D) Of courselah I cannot be anywhere near the sahabah and sahabiyats. But I can try as much as I can.

And I use to think, only the men should go, the women stay behind (and prepare the food and pakai baju cantik and siapkan anak). Whereas in a sahih hadith from Bukhari, the women were ordered to go out even though they are in their menstruation. Of course care should be taken not to glamourise oneself with makeup and perfume and baju blink blink. :P

The Two Festivals (Eids)
Bukhari :: Book 2 :: Volume 15 :: Hadith 97

Narrated Um-’Atiya:

We were ordered to go out (for ‘Id) and also to take along with us the menstruating women, mature girls and virgins staying in seclusion. (Ibn ‘Aun said, “Or mature virgins staying in seclusion).” The menstruating women could present themselves at the religious gathering and invocation of Muslims but should keep away from their Musalla.


So for the first time in my 37 years of life, I went for Eid prayer. Hmm that makes me and my 8 year old Sya and my 5 year old Jack the same. We have deflowered Eid Fitr prayer. :P

I went to the one organised by F@nar Islamic Centre here. As the sunnah, they perform Eid prayer in the open. Err the women's one is enclosed in a makeshift wall though. And we did it after syruk which was sometime at 5:40 in the morning. Subhanallah it was wonderful. The sun were sleepily rising. And the cool breeze was blowing. My shayla was gently ruffled. And I love everything about it even though my forehead and tumit (what is tumit in english ah?) were hurt because I can feel the sharp stones underneath the sajadah.

It is too bad that the emb@ssy here have their prayer at 8:30 in the morning. At 8:30 in the D0ha morning is as hot as noon. So I passed.

And also for the first time I listen to a live khutbah.

I have all the right to be jakun I think.

11 comments:

fizzahyahiya said...

Selamat hari raya kak Lollies...


ps: better late than never.. :) (tahun ni tak p solat sunat eidulfitri kerana Tuhan bagi cuti..sedih juga..)

أم الليث said...

wow ye ke..masa kecik2 pun tak pernah pergi eh?

that's right..better late than never hehehe. and now buat dengan niat and cara yg betul lagi..lagi best. :)

eid mubarak to you and your family

funny kat overseas ni derang pelik when we say the english version of maaf zahir batin. one of my friends tanya "why are you asking my forgiveness for? u never did anything wrong to me"
hahaha baiknyee derang nih

Lollies said...

sya - oh dah raya awal dah ni. :P

aliya - rasanya tak pernah pergi at all. sebab it is not a norm in my family for the female to go. *pandang kanan dan kiri sebab kekadang my dad baca* kena tactful sikit. :P

i thought mrs fatah to say maaf zahir batin and explained somewhat what it should mean. she actually kinda like it.

Sheherazade said...

thanks for the info k.lollies,thn ni

kita xpergi solat :(

butterflutter said...

I guess we org johor the ladies mmg jarang pegi solat hari raya but diff in Kelantan. So bila beraya di kelantan I wl go for solat raya.

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

i am forced to admit that i am very the jealous. verry the, you.

because i also belum deflower eid prayer. there's always an excuse.. susah carry the chair with me in the crowd coz i cannot pray standing up lah.. tido lambat masak rendang lahh.. belakang sakit lah. ade je. tapi for the first time, this year i really rasa menyesal that i didnt go. hopefully next year is my turn to deflower it pulak ;)

selamat hari raya to you and your family! and maaf atas semua kesalahan yang nyata dan tak disengajakan..

shidah said...

Eid mubarak to you and family. Well done. As for eid prayer, my parents always make it a must to go,as my mother told us that, eid prayer is the time that we can realize how many muslims are there and we can be strong if we want to and I remember one of the khutbah I heard many years ago, that it is also sunat for you to go back using a different route from the one you took to come to the masjid.
Unfortunately, can't back it with any hadith. Glad if you can share or find anything that relate to this :)

Lollies said...

ruby - Insya Allah kalau umur panjang tahun depan kita boleh pergi to fulfill this important sunnah ya. :)

BF - ya lah ek? sebab mak mertua (melaka) pergi. hmm macamaman johor yg ada sek agama belah petang boleh miss part ni ek?

babybooned - let's use the energy of envy and jealousy for the cause of greater good. Insya Allah, if Allah permits, we can try to do for the next syawal.

shidah - barakallahhufikum to you and your mum for putting importance to this sunnah.

The said hadith is sahih

Going to prayer via one route and back with another

This is as per this hadith

The Two Festivals (Eids)
Bukhari : Book 2 : Volume 15 : Hadith 102

Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah:

On the Day of ‘Id the Prophet s.a.w. used to return (after offering the ‘Id prayer) through a way different from that by which he went.

I wrote some of the basic sunnah and etiquette of Eid on my other site. You can find it here

http://lolliesplace.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/eid-is-coming-insya-allah/

an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

this year is also my first time. *malu*

tumit = heel.

maaf zahir batin.

:D

atiza said...

Congratulations!!!..bila time doa lah yang paling syahdu esp if you understand Arabic (sikit2 pun kira okay)..

Masa study @ Notts dulu khutbah tak berapa paham sebab in Hindi/Urdu..tapi syahdunya tetap the same as if in Malay..

Salam to all :) Minta maaf kalau ada salah silap dan terkasar bahasa

Lollies said...

babe - yeaahhh more newbies!

tumit is heel. of courselah ek! ayoyoooo. and hari-hari aku sental heel cream tu.

aie - aku tak tau pun khutbah kat manchester tu bahasa apa. tak pernah pergi pun. kalau dengar in malay mesti lagi syiokkan?